• Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What is this all over my small trees?

Hello All,

Hoping for some help! I habe 4 ornamental / small trees in beds in my garden and the branches, trunk and some leaves are COVERED in something white - not sure if its scale bug, eggs, mould, funghus and no idea how to treat. Any help or advice much appreciated, I'd be sad to get rid of them but I'm worries of it spreading to my plants and flowers.

Thank you.

Hi @blondie1234

Could you please upload some pictures to assist please?

Thanks!

Lee

Oh so sorry I thought they attached!

Thank you.

Hi @blondie1234

Those would be the exoskeletons of white fly!

Whiteflies are tiny, sap-sucking insects that can be a nuisance in gardens and greenhouses. When they infest plants, they leave behind telltale signs, one of which is their exoskeletons. As they go through their life cycle, whiteflies moult several times. After each moult, they leave behind a white, waxy exoskeleton that clings to the undersides of leaves. This is the why fluff or mould you are experiencing on your Euonymus or Spindle plant.

These exoskeletons are typically small, papery, and almost translucent, often giving the appearance of a fine dust or powder on the leaves. As the infestation grows, these cast-off skins can accumulate, making the plant look as if it's covered in a thin layer of white debris. Spotting these exoskeletons is a clear indicator of a whitefly infestation and the need for immediate pest control measures.

Spindle is an overwintering shrub for Aphids

The life cycle of aphids on spindle shrubs (Euonymus) involves several stages, typically spanning from spring to fall:

1. Egg Stage

In early spring, overwintering eggs hatch into wingless female aphids.

2. Asexual Reproduction

These females reproduce asexually, giving birth to live nymphs without mating. This results in rapid population growth, as multiple generations can occur in a single season.

3. Winged Aphids

When overcrowding or environmental conditions necessitate, some aphids develop wings and migrate to new host plants, spreading the infestation.

4. Sexual Reproduction

In late summer to fall, winged males and females are produced. These mate, and females lay eggs on the spindle shrubs or nearby plants, which will overwinter and restart the cycle in spring.

This continuous cycle can cause significant damage to spindle shrubs by sucking sap, distorting leaves, and spreading plant diseases. You're seeing their mounted exoskeletons, but I would bet money on your other garden plants, in particular lupins and roses, being covered in tiny white flies. 

Try a mix of 1 part washing up liquid to 10 parts water and mix in a spray bottle. Spray this on the underside of the leaves if you see black or white flies to kill them as it suffocates them. This should help break the cycle.

Do let us know how you get on.

Lee Garden Ninja

Thank you so much 🙂 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!